Mark Hunter (Cheadle)
I have been a supporter of the Palestinian cause for many years and have myself visited the Palestinian territories as a member of an All Party delegation several years ago. I would be happy to discuss these issues in more detail as and when convenient. My quick answers to your detailed questions are as follows:
1) Do you agree that the UK should recognise Palestine? What would be your reasons for and against recognition?
Yes. I voted for this in Parliament. The reasons are many and various.
2) Should the UK call for an end to all illegal Israeli settlement construction on Palestinian land, and stop trade with Israeli settlements? Do you consider settlements as an obstacle to peace, and what can the UK Government do about them?
Yes. Again, I have supported this call in Parliament.
3) Do you think that the UK's response to the refugee crisis has been satisfactory? What more should the UK be doing, in particular in countries where most refugees are being hosted?
No. The British government should be taking more of a moral lead on this.
4) Should guarantees on human rights be a condition of new free trade agreements after the UK leaves the EU?
Human Rights are always sacrosanct in my book.
5) Will Brexit change Britain's foreign policy priorities in the Middle East? If so, how? What role can the UK play in the Middle East?
Too early to tell for sure, but I fear the worse.
6) Do you support Britain’s continued military involvement against ISIS in Syria and Iraq?
Too complicated for a simple, short answer.
7) Do you think that the government should suspend arms exports to Saudi Arabia over its involvement in the bombing campaign of Yemen?
8) What would you propose to address increasing levels of hate crime in Britain, including attacks on the Muslim community, Jewish community, and on refugees and migrants?
Working closely with local communities and the Police is the only answer. Zero tolerance is my starting point and I have a good local track record of working with the Cheadle Muslim Association (CMA) and the local Jewish community on these issues.
Sorry I cannot go into more detail at this stage but as you can imagine I am extremely busy with my election campaign. Hope this response gives you some idea of my views.